3D printing systems by voxeljet create sand molds and cores for metal casting quickly and cost-effectively. To achieve this, silica sand is built up layer by layer until the desired part has been constructed. The layers of sand are selectively bonded using a binder, ensuring stability and flexural strength. This fast process is perfect for manufacturing prototypes or optimizing parts. Large formats up to 4 metres long, 2 metres wide and one metre high are also possible.
- Fast and flexible: with 3D printing, tools and parts can be optimised quickly and prototypes can be created much more easily.
- Economical production: complex sand molds and cores created using additive manufacturing. Expensive tool production is not necessary.
- Geometrical freedom: Undercuts can be easily realized, resulting in more complex parts than with conventional methods.
- High resolution print heads ensure particularly accurate sand molds and cores.
- Easy to combine: 3D-printed sand cores can be combined with traditional molds.
- Simple core removal: Thanks to the low binder content, the behavior during outgassing and core removal is comparable to traditional processes.
- Excellent flexural strength and stability.
- Ready-to-use molds: no pre-treatment required.
- Environmentally friendly: depending on the configuration, unprinted sand is virtually 100% recyclable.
- Common casting materials with comparable properties: Silica sand combined with Furan / Phenolic resin*.
- Suitable for all standard alloys
*Our service centres offer molds and cores with Furan binders, our printing systems use Phenolic binders.
|SAND TYPES||FOR FURAN RESIN|
|Molding Material||Silica sand||Cerabeads|
|Type||GS 14 / GS 19 / GS 25||Cerabeads|
|Medium grain size||140 / 190 / 250 µm||200µm|
|Application||Molds and cores with high surface requirements/ Cores with high gas permeability /Cores; highest gas permeability||High thermal resistance, low thermal extension, good packaging, good strength and surface, alternative to Chromite, Kerphalite or Zircone|
|Layer thickness||300 / 300/400 / 300 µm||300 µm|
|TECHNICAL DATA||SAND MOLDS FURAN RESIN|
|Build platform||up to 4,000 x 2,000 x 1,000 mm|
|Binder-type||Cold hardening furan resin*|
|Loss on ignition||≤ 1.9 Gew. %**|
|Accuracy||± 0,1 % (min. ± 1.5 * layer thickness)|
|Bending strength||From 220 N/cm2 (depending on sand /or binder used)|
*Only available as 3D print service at the voxeljet Service Center
**Depending on sand types
|TECHNICAL DATA||SAND MOLDS PHENOLIC RESIN|
|Build platform||up to 1,000 x 600 x 500 mm|
|Accuracy||± 0,1 % (min. ± layer thickness)|
|Bending strength||250-500 N/cm2 (depending on sand /or binder)|
|Recycling rate||approx. 100 % of the loose material|