3D printers from voxeljet can be used for the time- and cost-efficient production of sand molds and cores for metal casting. The molds are produced by applying a particle material in layers and selectively bonding it with a binder. Silica sand is used as the particulate material.
Properties of sand
- Ideal for prototype manufacturing and tool optimization: For example, you can use 3D printing to quickly, flexibly and economically develop and optimize tools.
- Uses common foundry materials: silica sand and furan/phenol resin with series-comparable molding and casting properties.
- Molds can be used immediately: no pretreatment necessary.
- Easy core removal: Due to the low binder content (for 3D printing), the outgassing and core removal behavior is comparable to that of traditional processes
- Excellent bending strength
- The applied, unprinted sand is nearly 100% recyclable (PDB process)
- Suitable for sand casting of all castable materials, such as aluminum, brass, magnesium, iron and steel casting as well as all common alloys
Benefits of 3D-printing sand molds and cores:
- Economical production: Complex sand molds and cores are manufactured additively without complex and expensive tool production
- Large-format printing: Molds can be produced on building platforms up to 4,000 x 2,000 x 1,000 mm (LxWxH)
- Complex components: Nearly unlimited geometries, undercuts can be implemented
- Precise sand molds and cores with a high surface quality
- Combinations are possible: 3D-printed cores can be combined with traditional sand molds and vice versa.
- Our service centers can deliver molds and cores with furan binder; our printing systems are available with a phenol binder process
|SAND TYPES||FOR FURAN RESIN|
|Molding Material||Silica sand||Cerabeads|
|Type||GS 14 / GS 19 / GS 25||Cerabeads|
|Medium grain size||140 / 190 / 250 µm||200µm|
|Application||Molds and cores with high surface requirements/ Cores with high gas permeability /Cores; highest gas permeability||High thermal resistance, low thermal extension, good packaging, good strength and surface, alternative to Chromite, Kerphalite or Zircone|
|Layer thickness||300 / 300/400 / 300 µm||300 µm|
|TECHNICAL DATA||SAND MOLDS FURAN RESIN|
|Build platform||up to 4,000 x 2,000 x 1,000 mm|
|Binder-type||Cold hardening furan resin*|
|Loss on ignition||≤ 1.9 Gew. %**|
|Accuracy||± 0,1 % (min. ± 1.5 * layer thickness)|
|Bending strength||From 220 N/cm2 (depending on sand /or binder used)|
*Only available as 3D print service at the voxeljet Service Center
**Depending on sand types
|TECHNICAL DATA||SAND MOLDS PHENOLIC RESIN|
|Build platform||up to 1,000 x 600 x 500 mm|
|Accuracy||± 0,1 % (min. ± layer thickness)|
|Bending strength||250-500 N/cm2 (depending on sand /or binder)|
|Recycling rate||approx. 100 % of the loose material|